Monday, June 3, 2013

Best EOs for Swollen Ankles, Legs & Feet



If you're on your feet all day or do a lot of driving, chances are your feet and ankles look like this by the end of the day, uncomfortable and swollen.  

Lucky for us, there are several essential oils you can use to get your circulation moving as well as a couple of ideas for DIY spa treatments that can really make a difference too.  Combine both and you have a few new entries for your EO journal!




If you're a slave to your feet these days, try an EO remedy...




Apply 2 drops each of Lemongrass, Grapefruit and Cypress essential oils diluted in 1 T. of fractionated coconut oil, massage into feet, ankles and calves upwards towards the heart.  If you can someone to do it for you, all the better!




DIY Spa Treatment, try this!
_________________________________


All you need are 1 dozen or so smooth stones.  You can find them at your local nursery, even Walmart has them in the craft and candle section.
  
A large, shallow bowl ~ big enough for both the stones and your feet.  

Very warm water and 2 drops each of Lavender and Cypress (flower petals optional, but nice!)

Now, roll the soles of your feet slowly over the pebbles for a few minutes.  Bliss!




When you consider the science of Reflexology, a simple remedy such as the stone foot massage will not only relieve swelling, it will benefit many other areas of your body as well ~ don't you just love DIY, multi-tasking beauty treatments?



For generally poor circulation, especially for the elderly (thin skin), Geranium essential oil is lovely and can show great improvement with regular use!

An added bonus is the mood and skin brightening effects of Geranium. 





Add 10 drops of Geranium to 2 T. of fractionated coconut oil and massage from the hands to the elbows and from the feet to the knees.  Always with an upwards motion.  Geranium is one of the best revitalizing oils and will make your skin softer and smoother while aiding circulation, a win win!

Geranium is also Spark's Oil of the Month Club feature EO for the month of JUNE, sign up to receive a 15ml bottle delivered to you every month at a discounted price {FREE shipping too}.


As always, enjoy 10% off every Spark Naturals order!
coupon code:  campwander

28 Comments:

At June 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is great to see. I put in a 44 hour plus week, and now my ankles are swollen. Myself being a massage therapist, I can elevate some of the swelling. But adding this combination will definitely help reduce the rest of the swelling. Thank you so much for all the wonderful information on essential oils and their benefits. :)

 
At June 3, 2013 at 4:22 AM , Blogger Skitty said...

This is a great idea. I must add though, that a person must be careful. If only one extremity is swollen and painful, and it's not due to a sprain, etc, get it checked out by an MD, because it could be a DVT. Also, if a person doesn't normally experience edema, and has a sudden onset, it could be something more serious...maybe something to do with kidney function. I believe in eating right, and natural healing. I also believe there are certain circumstances that require a visit to the physician. :D I love your page Rebecca, and look forward to seeing all of your posts. Love Jillee's page as well, and I thank you for sharing all of this awesome information! I just began learning about essential oils, and thanks to you and Jillee at One Good Thing, I now make my own face cleanser, chap stick, laundry soap...the list goes on! Thanks again!

 
At June 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

:) is geranium safe while pregnant?? i'm sure it is, but really want confirmation, as a pregnant-with-twins friend really could use the geranium rub up her legs due to poor circulation in lower legs this summer!! <3
thanks for any info!! much love, e

 
At June 4, 2013 at 5:24 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Yes, geranium is safe to use during pregnancy.

 
At June 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM , Blogger SReeseDavis said...

Does geranium oil help Raynauds disease. My daughter has this and struggles in the winter with poor circulation. Also do you have anything to help my parents with thick toenails? Just learning about the essential oils.

 
At July 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Chelly300 said...

I have Raynauds and every night I massage my feet with a couple drops of lavender and a couple drops of Balance. It has worked for me wonders. Haven't tried Geranium, but actually was planning on using Black Pepper.

 
At August 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Penny said...

My daughter who has Fibromyalgia is allergic to lavender. Can Geranium be used in the first recipe instead of lavender? Are they related in any way?

 
At August 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a fibromyalgia and congestive heart failure patient who is allergic to citrus, lavender and geranium leaves so don't know if the oil would be okay to try or not but my feet swell so bad that you can see all the busted veins in my feet and am developing very bas psoriasis on my feet hands and arms is there any thing that I could use that wouldn't potentially cause a sever allergic reaction for the feet and the psoriasis?

 
At August 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Birdie said...

Adding parsley to your diet (sprinkle a little in soups or on salads) will help. With CHF you will retain fluids and parsley will help you get rid of excess fluids without chemicals. Watermelon and or corn silks (non GMO of course) will do the same thing. Make sure you eat a banana or other food that contains potassium every now and then so you don't lose too much while you get rid of the excess fluids. Coconut oil (organic) would be the oil I would suggest for your legs and feet. It's wonderful for your skin and hair.

 
At August 20, 2013 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Yes you could substitute Geranium, I love Geranium!

 
At August 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Heart Gramma said...

As an RN, I certainly hope those +4 pitting edema ankles and feet don't look like anybody's at the end of the day. I think they will need more than a good soak. I love the idea for milder swelling.

 
At August 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Jones said...

Is this oil for swollen legs found aswell in south Africa?or is it just another dead end for me in south Africa?

 
At August 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM , Blogger mj said...

Can I use lemongrass grapefruit and cypress (I know I cant eat grapefruit)and geranium if on bp tabs?also what is fractionated cocnut oil and where can you get that?(in uk)I had ripped tendons on one foot and its always puffy -sometimes really puffs.never "healed" thanks

 
At August 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my ankles swell i am pre diabetic I need to know what kind of oil to get immediately I sit down all day I am a Receptionist please suggest a oil quick

 
At October 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

was wondering wheres the best place to buy these things at

 
At October 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Dave, I use and recommend Spark Naturals essential oils, they can be found here: www.sparknaturals.com/?affiliates=6

 
At November 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Wendyrful said...

my mother in law's feet and ankles looked like this when they drove 14 hours to visit us last summer. She has diabetes, had stress fractures in her feet years ago and over the past year she had both knees replaced and she was still recovering. Would any of these oils be dangerous in any way to use on her? I am just beginning to use oils, but just want t make sure I would not be using anything that could be harmful to her. Thanks

 
At November 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I think it would be wonderful for her symptoms Wendy...including the massage aspect of the protocol.

 
At November 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Justme said...

Had any experience/success with oils for lymphedema?

 
At November 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What does 1T of coconut oil mean?

 
At November 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

One tablespoon...a measurement.

 
At December 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

regarding hemorrhoids how can u help me please , i'm suffering so much

 
At December 4, 2013 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard that sometimes the elderly get blood clots in their legs, and that you could do serious damage if you accidentally loosened one by massaging their legs. Maybe check with their medical professional before massaging "Gramma's" legs. Otherwise, this sounds wonderful!

 
At December 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM , Blogger frisky kitten said...

I am a massage therapist and would like to find something to help my client with her lower leg edema but she is scent sensitive. Is there anything I can put in the coconut oil that has no scent but will still work on the swelling? Can I use dandelion root tincture topically or is that only for ingesting?

 
At January 12, 2014 at 3:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

ebay,or mail order

 
At January 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would love any info about EO for lymphedema.

 
At February 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Where can I purchase such wonderful oils?

 
At January 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My feet swell bigger than this at times and for days it lingers. Eventually they go down, but I rub them alot to help and elevate them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home