Monday, July 1, 2013

Mosquito Repellent! Camper & Fly Fisher Approved!




My handsome son in law, Clint...fly fisher extraordinaire and, mosquito bait!

We live in Wyoming close to the Green River where the mosquitos get PRETTY bad!  So bad that our city fathers take it upon themselves to douse our town with insecticide from the air.  SHAME ON THEM, this is a post for another time but, this drives the point home...we have our share of mosquitoes every summer!

Out of the hundreds of bug repellent recipes out there, here's our PROVEN Green River special:  As tested by Clint, his Dad Clark and my daughter Jennifer on the river last weekend :)






You know any bug repellent recipe with this in it is gonna be good for your skin...add a few EOs and it's a gold standard repellent!


Here we go...the simple and uncomplicated:


Per 2 oz glass spray bottle add...

30 drops Lemongrass
30 drops Lavender

Top off with good quality alcohol free Witch Hazel!

Apply often, especially if it's hot and you're perspiring a lot and, if you're in and out of the water.  

Diffuse the EO combination {minus the Witch Hazel} for a fragrant mosquito repeller on the patio or in the house!


Bonus!


Safe for your kids AND your pets!



Keep it with you wherever your adventures may take you this summer!

Happy {bug bite free} Summertime!




10% off Spark Natural EOs with code:  campwander





11 Comments:

At July 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Carla K said...

Does it have to be in a glass bottle? Also can you add Citronella to it?

 
At July 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a which hazel without aloe vera? i am one of the 7% who is allergic to aloe...

 
At July 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Carla, you can add citronella if you like ~ but it's not necessary :) Glass is best, BPA plastic is next best!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh lucky you ;) Yes, as a matter of fact this brand that I use has several different blends to choose from. I order mine from Amazon, you could take a look there :)

 
At July 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ive been using Terrashield from doTerra, I think it works pretty well. Have you compared yours to Terrashield? Id rather make my own!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Does this work well for people that the mosquitos love to bite? I am one of those "lucky" people that is like a mosquito magnet, no one around me will have any bites and I will have 10. It is terrible and I hate regular bug spray. Thanks in advance! :)

 
At July 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! I came here specifically looking for a bug repellant recipe. I just received my latest SN order with lemongrass. For some reason I thought I was supposed to use geranium too. We'll be testing this out soon at a concert in the park where June bugs are out like mad!

 
At July 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Kate, I'm one of those people too...it works! If you get sweaty or go swimming ~ you'll have to reapply :)

 
At July 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What EO would you use to put into standing water to keep mosquitoes out?

 
At July 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I've never used EOs in standing water for mosquito control, interesting idea! I would experiment with Lemongrass.

 
At July 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Amy said...

My sister has two lemongrass plants in her back yard in the Memphis area. She said it has pretty much gotten rid of every single mosquito.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home